Radiology and Imaging
There’s no place like CHOC when it comes to radiology and imaging services for kids. CHOC Radiology is the only specialized imaging facility in Orange County just for children and offer a wide range of radiology services.
At CHOC, we make sure your child is comfortable and safe by using the most advanced equipment available with the lowest amount of radiation. Many children in adult facilities are potentially exposed to radiation doses up to 50 percent higher than at CHOC. Our equipment is safe and calibrated for kids, not adults.
The CHOC Difference
- We offer a full range of specialized pediatric imaging services, including ultrasound, X-ray, fluoroscopy, MRI and CT scans.
- CHOC has been designated a Diagnostic Imaging Center of Excellence® (DICOE) by the American College of Radiology (ACR) for best-quality imaging practices and diagnostic care.
- Radiation doses on CHOC equipment can be up to 50 percent lower than community hospitals or independent imaging centers. Get more information on how CHOC uses the lowest amount of radiation possible in our imaging exams.
- CHOC uses only board-certified pediatric radiologists and specially trained pediatric radiology technologists, nurses and child life specialists.
- All radiology staff undergo age-specific training annually to learn how to work and communicate with children of varying ages.
- CHOC is only one of a small number of medical centers in the country to have child life specialists working in a dedicated pediatric radiology and imaging department.
What to Expect
From the imaging suites to our family lobby, the CHOC radiology is designed to be a calm and inviting unit for children of all ages--infants to teens and young adults.
CHOC's team works one-on-one with each patient to make the imaging experience as comfortable as possible. These guidelines will help make you understand what to expect before, during and after your child's appointment.
All imaging services and examinations must be ordered by your child's doctor. Please have the doctor's written prescription with you when making the appointment. Bring the prescription with you for any scheduled or walk-in appointment.
Also, you must bring a pre-authorization from your insurance for most radiology exams. Get your pre-authorization from your insurance company should before scheduling an appointment. Please contact your insurance company or child's doctor directly to make sure pre-authorization is obtained.
A parent or legal guardian must accompany your child for ALL radiology appointments. Other family members, babysitters or friends cannot legally bring your child to appointments.
Please make legal arrangements with our office BEFORE the appointment if a parent or legal guardian cannot bring your child. We can provide you with a legal document that needs to be signed and notarized to allow someone else to bring your child. At check-in, we need a photo id for the parent, legal guardian or authorized legal designee.
Please first check in with the reception area of the hospital's main lobby with legal photo identification from the parent or legal guardian. Then, they will direct you to the radiology department lobby.
CHOC is proud to be one of only a few medical centers in the country to have child life specialists working in a dedicated pediatric radiology and imaging department. Our radiology associates and child life specialists help children of all ages—babies through young adults—feel comfortable and safe.
Our team uses videos, toys and activities to help children feel more at ease with the imaging process. We use medical equipment, pictures and interactive tools help children understand what to expect. During the procedure, our associates help patients through the imaging process by:
- Blowing bubbles, talking or singing with the child.
- Providing music to listen to on an MP3 player during an X-ray, ultrasound, or CT scan. (this may not be an option for all children depending on the area of the body being imaged)
- Providing special goggles to use during MRI scans. Video goggles allows patients to watch movies or TV shows during their MRI scan. Few facilities in the United States use goggles. Yet, goggles have reduced the number of patients needing sedation for MRI procedures.
Appointments and Location
All imaging services (except X-rays) require appointments. X-ray appointments are walk-in only. But, if your child needs special accommodations, an appointment will be made for your convenience.
How to make a radiology appointment (other than X-ray): Call (888) 770-2462 to make an appointment. Our associates will help make the appointment and provide pre-examination instructions.
X-ray walk-in services: Walk-in hours are Monday-Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. At the time of walk-in, we require a doctor’s prescription for the x-ray and insurance authorization (if required by your insurance).
A legal parent or guardian must accompany your child to ALL radiology appointments. Parents and guardians must bring photo identification. Other family members, friends or caretakers are not allowed to bring your child to a radiology appointment.
1201 W. La Veta Ave. | Orange, CA 92868