Online: Amazon Wish List
Log onto www.amazon.com and search for the “Children’s Hospital of Orange County” wish list. Donations will be shipped directly to CHOC.
Storage space is extremely limited, so in lieu of toy donations, we strongly encourage donors to consider giving gift cards to places such as:
- Toys “R” Us or Babies “R” Us
And Visa gift cards are always appreciated!
Gift cards enable our trained Child Life Specialists to purchase toys, craft supplies and gifts when needed throughout the year based on the developmental age and gender of our current patients. In addition to helping us best meet the needs of our patients, gift card donations alleviate the need for us to secure and pay for offsite storage. Please note that grocery store & gas station cards can be given to our families in need. Cash is accepted, as well.
CHOC gladly accepts new toys to help keep our patients entertained and engaged while in the hospital. You may view specific toys we need on our Amazon registry under Children’s Hospital of Orange County.
Many toys are more popular and appropriate for use in the hospital. The hospital is a unique setting, so to meet our needs we ask that all donors please choose from the following items only for your donation. Durable, cleanable toys are most useful in the hospital setting.
Infant & Toddler:
- Crib Toys – mobiles, mirrors, busy boxes
- Teethers & Rattles
- Little People/Weeble People
- Musical Toys (ones with buttons, knobs, light up, etc.)
- See ’n Say/Talking phones
- Shape sorters/Stacking toys
- Action Figures (Batman, Superman, Dora, Sponge Bob, My Little Pony, etc.)
- Barbie Dolls/small dolls
- Beads & jewelry making kits
- Coloring books, Paint by Numbers, Velvet color posters
- Craft sets/ Stickers
- I Spy Books/Look ‘n’ Find books
- Light-up wands/Light & spin toys
- Small Lego building sets/Bionacles
- Matchbox /Hotwheel cars (small size cars)
- Playdoh/Model magic-all colors
- Playing cards & Uno cards
- Puzzles – 24, 63 & 100 pieces
- Markers & crayons (8, 16 & 24 pack)
- Board games – popularity for different games changes over time. Please refer to our Amazon wish list for the most current requests.
We are always in need of more activities for our teen population.
- Manicure kits with nail polish, polish remover, files, etc. are especially useful for our girls who are in the hospital for extended periods of time.
- Intricate craft kits (from stores such as Michaels)
- Wooden items to paint- birdhouses, small boxes, etc. (Michaels)
- Model kits (snap-together cars, airplanes, etc)
- Handheld electronic games
- DVDs- PG13 ratings (English and Spanish) New release movies only
- Video games: Wii, Playstation III, Xbox 360, Game Cube (Rated E & T-nonviolent)
- Magazine subscriptions: Teen Vogue, Seventeen, People, Bop, J-14, etc.
(Mailed to: CHOC Child Life Dept, 1201 W. La Veta Ave, Orange, CA 92868)
- Small toys from the Dollar Store
CHOC’s Family Resource Center welcomes only brand-new children’s books for our gifting library. Please no religious, political, or violent themes. We are especially in need of board books, bilingual and foreign language, and hardcover picture/story books. Please call ahead to find out our current needs and arrange a time to drop off weekdays, M-F from 7am-7pm. Should you have any questions, please call Rose Ovalle in our Family Resource Center at 714-509-9168.
(From stores such as Michael’s or JoAnne’s)
- Beads, crayons, markers, glue, paint by numbers, fuzzy art posters, coloring books, needlepoint, wooden items to paint (birdhouses, trinket boxes, etc.), seasonal crafts, scissors
Items we cannot accept
Due to infection control guidelines and for the protection of our patients all donations must be newly purchased items. We are not able to utilize used goods.
We are not able to accept the following items:
- Stuffed animals
- Handmade blankets, hats, socks, etc. (We have groups that provide these regularly and are not in need of any more at this time.)
- Get well cards
- Big items, i.e. bikes, skate boards
- VHS tapes
- Used toys or collections
- Used books
Donors may drop off donations in front of our main hospital building at 1201 West La Veta Ave in Orange (except for the month of December). Our valet attendants will accept your donation and provide you with a donation receipt upon request. Donors are not allowed to distribute anything directly to patients or go into any patient care areas, however, staff will distribute as appropriate.
** We are unable to accept donations at the main building in the month of December. For all December donations we ask that you refer to our Holiday Toy Drive information and make plans to deliver your donation directly to the toy drive. We thank you for your understanding.