We are proud to offer comprehensive lactation services for moms and babies during your stay at CHOC.
- One-on-one assistance from lactation experts. CHOC has board-certified lactation consultants as well as certified lactation educators available to assist breastfeeding or pumping moms. Many of our other staff members, including nurses, dietitians and developmental specialists, can also assist families with breastfeeding and pumping, and many have specialty lactation training. Meet our lactation team.
- Lactation rooms and breast pumps. We provide electric breast pumps and a private place to pump milk for all breastfeeding and pumping moms while you are at CHOC.
- Meals for moms to get the nutrition they need. Some meals are provided free of charge to breastfeeding and pumping moms while in the hospital with your baby.
- Assistance in obtaining a breast pump for home. Because many moms want to continue pumping while away from the hospital, we can provide assistance in obtaining a hospital-grade breast pump for home.
- Supplies to collect and transport milk to the hospital. We will provide all of the supplies you need to pump, collect and transport your milk to the hospital while your baby is staying with us. Supplies include bottles, labels, a breast milk pump kit and a cleaning basin. Follow these guidelines for bringing your milk to the hospital.
- A state-of-the-art Nutrition Lab for storing, tracking and fortifying mom’s milk. We use a unique barcoding system to ensure your milk is tracked properly and easily provided to your baby as needed. Learn more about the safety and convenience of breast milk handling in our Nutrition Lab.
- Text messages when a baby’s breast milk supply is getting low. CHOC closely tracks the breast milk you have brought in for your baby. In an effort to reach you when the supply is running low, we offer automated text messaging to let you know when it is time to bring in more milk. This service is optional.
- Educational materials and classes. Upon your baby’s admission to the hospital, we will provide you with educational materials and a pumping kit that will help you breastfeed or pump while at CHOC. We also host a monthly Skin-to-Skin and Lactation Care class for families. View some of our educational resources here.