Christine Bixby, M.D. is board certified in pediatrics and neonatology. She completed her fellowship in neonatology at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, California. Dr. Bixby completed her residency and internship training in pediatrics at Harbor UCLA Medical Center. She attended medical school at the University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, Davis, California. Dr. Bixby speaks conversational Spanish.
Improving outcomes for Extremely Low Birth Weight infants, Improving neurologic outcomes in the NICU
CHOC Children’s Hospital
1201 W La Veta
Orange, CA 92868
Hoag Memorial Presbyterian Hospital
One Hoag Dr.
Newport Beach, CA 92663
CHOC Children’s at Mission Hospital
27700 Medical Center Rd. 5th Floor
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Citrus Valley Medical Center, Dept. of Pediatrics
Parkview Community Hospital, Medical Staff
“Optimizing Breastfeeding in Orange County”
Alta-Med Latino Breastfeeding Forum
“Preterm Babies Going Home Breastfeeding”
California Breastfeeding Summit
“Pumping Our Way to Excellence: In-Hospital Lactation and Breastfeeding Endeavors at CHOC Children’s Hospital”
Orange County Breastfeeding Summit
1. Human milk as “chrononutrition”: implications for child health and development. Hahn-Holbrook J, Saxbe D, Bixby C, Steele C, Glynn L.
Pediatr Res. 2019 Mar 11. doi: 10.1038/s41390-019-0368-x. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PMID: 30858473
2. The Microbiome and Metabolome of Preterm Infant Stool Are Personalized and Not Driven by Health Outcomes, Including Necrotizing Enterocolitis and Late-Onset Sepsis. Wandro S, Osborne S, Enriquez C, Bixby C, Arrieta A, Whiteson K. mSphere. 2018 Jun 6;3(3). pii: e00104-18. doi: 10.1128/mSphere.00104-18. Print 2018 Jun 27. PMID: 29875143
3. A Multidisciplinary Quality Improvement Approach Increases Breastmilk Availability at Discharge from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for the Very-Low-Birth-Weight Infant. Bixby C, Baker-Fox C, Deming C, Dhar V, Steele C.
Breastfeed Med. 2016 Mar;11(2):75-9. doi: 10.1089/bfm.2015.0141. Epub 2016 Feb 22. PMID: 26901619
4. Centralized breastmilk handling and bar code scanning improve safety and reduce breastmilk administration errors. Steele C, Bixby C.
Breastfeed Med. 2014 Nov;9(9):426-9. doi: 10.1089/bfm.2014.0077. Epub 2014 Sep 22. PMID: 25243824
5. Breast milk bar code scanning results in time savings and staff efficiency. Steele C, Czerwin A, Bixby C.
J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015 Jan;115(1):23-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2014.06.360. Epub 2014 Jul 25. No abstract available. PMID: 25070921
Bixby CE, Ibe BO, Abdallah MF, Zhou W, Hislop AA, Longo LD, Raj JU. Role of platelet-activating factor in pulmonary vascular remodeling associated with chronic high altitude hypoxia in ovine fetal lambs. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2007 Dec; 293(6):L1475-82.
Bixby, C, Czerwin, A., C. Steele. Breast Milk Bar Code Scanning Results in Time Savings and Efficiency. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 20115 Jan:115(1):23-6.
C. Steele, C. Bixby. Centralized Breastmilk Handling & Bar Code Scanning Improve Safety & Reduce Breastmilk Administration Errors. Breastfeeding Medicine 2014, vol 9 (9), 426-429.
Breastmilk Handling Process Improvement at CHOC Children’s
Improvement of breastmilk handling at CHOC Children’s including centralized milk processing in the Nutrition Lab and Bar code scanning of milk throughout the process.
Effect of Lactation Support in Lactation Success in the ELBW Population at CHOC Children’s
Effect of providing mothers of ELBW infants with pumping bustiers, a video on hand expression and specific lactation consultant support on the ability to establish and maintain lactation through discharge. In recruitment and data collection phase.
Human Milk Analysis for Hospitalized Patients at CHOC
Utilization of Mid-Infrared milk analysis in evaluation of human milk and subsequent fortification on growth of NICU patients, particularly the ELBW infant. Finalizing process with planned start of recruitment in April 2014.
Breast milk is the ideal food for babies says Dr. Christine Bixby, CHOC’s medical director of lactation services. Learn more about the benefits of breastfeeding an infant in this health feature.