Cancer Horizontal Menu
Cancer Footer Menu

Hyundai Cancer Institute


Selecting where a child will receive cancer treatment is one of the biggest decisions a caregiver can make.

The Hyundai Cancer Institute at CHOC Children’s specializes in providing patients—from infants through young adults—with the latest pediatric cancer treatments by nationally recognized medical specialists.

And, we are ranked as one of the nation’s leading children’s hospital for cancer treatment by U.S. News & World Report.


 Specialized Treatment and Support Programs

Innovative Programs

Our treatment specific teams work to provide innovative, specialized programs for on-going diagnosis, management and treatment of pediatric cancers.

Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Treatment Program
Solid Tumor Treatment Program
Histiocytosis Treatment Program
Neuro-oncology Treatment Program
Adolescent and Young Adult Treatment Program
Lymphoma Treatment Program
Leukemia Treatment Program
Recurrent and Refractory Cancer Treatment Program
After Cancer Treatment Survivorship Program
Blood and Marrow Transplant Program

Support Programs and Services

When a child is ill and needs hospitalization, we understand that the entire family is affected.  Because we so strongly believe in allowing a child to be a child and creating a sense of normalcy through play, discovery and creativity, we are dedicated to offering the most comprehensive support programs in the region. Children simply shouldn’t have to give up being kids while dealing with the grown-up issue of cancer. The Cancer Institute offers patients and families:

Hyundai and CHOC Children’s: Partners in advancing the future of pediatric cancer treatment.

For more than a decade, the cure rate for pediatric cancer has been stalled at about 80 percent. A multidisciplinary team of specialists at the Hyundai Cancer Institute at CHOC Children’s is working to find cures for the other 20 percent—and won’t stop until they do. Thanks to a gift in 2011 of $10 million from Hyundai Motor America, the largest corporate gift in CHOC’s history, Leonard Sender, M.D., medical director of the Cancer Institute, and his team are conducting cutting-edge genomic research to better understand cancers that occur in children and teenagers. In this video, Dr. Sender talks about the innovative treatments available at the Cancer Institute.

The Latest Treatments and Research


Find a cancer clinical trial now

Children’s cancers are very different than adult cancers and must be treated with specific pediatric cancer protocols. Our experience in exclusively treating children, teens and young adults makes us the experts in the evaluation and treatment of all forms of common childhood and adolescent cancers. Through our Children’s Oncology Group (COG) membership, the Cancer Institute has received a prestigious Phase I clinical trial designation, making us one of only 21 facilities in North America and the only hospital in the Southwestern United States offering COG’s groundbreaking alternative treatments.

In addition to the very latest clinical trials, the Hyundai Cancer Institute is currently leading the way in pediatric cancer research. Learn more about clinical trials and our ground-breaking research studies.

Health Features

Kids and Cancer
Children’s cancers are very different than adult cancers, and a range of unique issues need to be considered. Learn more about how we treat cancer in kids in this Health feature.

Treating the Teen Cancer Patient
Teen cancer patients face unique challenges when dealing with cancer. Doctors need to take into account self-esteem, emerging independence and side effects of treatment that can affect their future. Learn more in this Health feature.

Kids and Melanoma
Orange County is one of the sunniest places in California, with hundreds of sun days per year. Learn about proper protection to prevent malignant melanoma in this Health feature.

Featured Stories

For more than a decade, the cure rate for pediatric cancer has been stalled at about 80 percent. A multidisciplinary team of specialists at the Hyundai Cancer Institute is working to find cures for the other 20 percent—and won’t stop until they do.

Physicians at the Cancer Institute are immersed in such cutting-edge research as molecular and genetic profiling to find out what triggers rare diseases like JXG—and what can be done to cure them.

The CHOC Children’s Infusionarium is the first program of its kind to combine immersive video technology with life-saving infusion therapy, such as chemotherapy or IV antibiotics.

While many teenaged girls might balk at wearing a medical device on their shaved heads 18 hours a day, Abbey Schemmer didn’t blink an eye.

Contact the Hyundai Cancer Institute

To make an appointment for any of the services at the Hyundai Cancer Institute at CHOC Children's, please call 714-509-8636.

CHOC Orange Clinic

Hyundai Cancer Institute Clinic

Building: CHOC Clinic | 1201 W. La Veta Ave., 2nd Floor | Orange, CA 92868 | 714-509-8636

Virtual Tour

Take a virtual tour of the Hyundai Cancer Institute in the new Bill Holmes tower, which provides a truly healing environment for our patients and families, plus a host of family amenities to make everyone feel at home. Our all-new, oncology unit in the Bill Holmes Tower is home to 28 private beds, play rooms, a private gym and other spaces created especially for our oncology patients and their families.

Cancer News and Events

Long Live Childhood

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram Snapchat LinkedIn YouTube