About the Program
Our RD Residency Program is an 18-week program that is specifically customized to meet the requirements of the new graduate or the RD changing areas of specialty to be successfully transitioned to becoming a professional pediatric dietitian. The program emphasizes the following outcomes:
- Delivering safe, independent, timely nutrition care and practice according to the Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance (SOP/SOPP) for Registered Dietitians in Pediatric Nutrition from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Role modeling CHOC’s Mission, Values, Vision, strategic goals, care model and nutrition philosophy.
- Advocating for patient, patient’s family and self.
- Integrating theoretical knowledge and past situations with clinical experiences to build upon their knowledge base.
- Participating in new opportunities at CHOC to grow both professionally and clinically.
- Building a network of professional relationships.
- Exemplifying the leadership skills they gained through the RD Residency Program by pursuing leadership and professional opportunities at CHOC and the nutrition profession as a whole.
Our RD residents accomplish these outcomes through the following components:
- Precepting. Work with trained preceptors to give you the personalized learning that you need to succeed.
- Didactic Curriculum. Evidence-based information, hands-on training, presentations from content experts and leadership building opportunities all assist in growing your knowledge base and skills in pediatric nutrition.
- Feedback/Evaluations. Not only do you receive feedback on the job in real time, but you will also have hand-off sessions between rotations as well as monthly progress meetings during the 18 weeks. These meetings are a time to reflect on your achievements and your goals to ensure you are on track to becoming a successful independent competent pediatric dietitian and the organization is meeting your needs.