CHOC Children’s Hospital has been verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level II pediatric trauma center. This achievement recognizes CHOC’s commitment to providing the highest quality trauma care to injured patients. CHOC opened its trauma center in 2015. It is Orange County’s only trauma center focused exclusively on children.
To earn verification, CHOC submitted an extensive application and data. This was followed by a site visit from a team of surgeons. They commended CHOC for exceptional work in several areas, including support by the medical staff, nursing educational excellence and the commitment of hospital administration.
“Our team of pediatric subspecialists, nurses and staff are dedicated to providing the highest levels of care to seriously injured children, from the moment they arrive to the day they go home. Our goal is to give each patient the best chance of survival and recovery,” says Dr. David Gibbs, director, trauma services, CHOC. “We are honored to serve the children and families in Orange County, and are proud to join an elite group of hospitals committed to improving pediatric trauma care.”
As a verified Level II pediatric trauma center, CHOC is a referral resource for communities in Orange County and surrounding regions, and provides:
- 24-hour coverage by board-certified pediatric trauma surgeons and quick access to pediatric specialties including orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, internal medicine, plastic surgery, oral and maxillofacial, and critical care
- Injury prevention and education to the community
- Continuing education and training for trauma staff
- Substance abuse screening and patient intervention
CHOC’s trauma center also meets verification standards based on its patient volume and comprehensive quality assessment program.
To be designated a Level II pediatric trauma center, CHOC goes above and beyond to meet the requirements set by Orange County Emergency Medical Services by offering the following.
- An award-winning pediatric intensive care unit providing intensive and acute care to critically ill surgical and medical patients
- State-of-the=art operating rooms for performing immediate or emergency surgery using the latest and safest procedures
- Support services, including child life, social services and psychology, for pediatric patients and their families dealing with traumatic situations
- Additional hospital services, including a blood bank, radiology and rehabilitation services