Child life provides normal life experiences for kids in the hospital.
CHOC’s incredible child life services include:
- Pre-surgery preparation and support, as well as operating room escorts, to help both patients and families feel more at ease with the surgery process.
- Therapeutic medical play that allows patients of all ages to better understand the hospital environment and their own medical conditions.
- New diagnosis education and support.
- Special entertainment that includes visits from special guests and entertainers, as well as entertainment broadcast from our Seacrest Studios located on the second floor.
- Developmental stimulation.
- Grief and bereavement education and support.
- Geek Squad technical support and technology lending program for patients and their caregivers.
- Sibling support because when one family member is hospitalized, we understand that the entire family is impacted.
- Specialized therapeutic programs including our play room and bedside activities, pet therapy, music therapy and art therapy.
Specialized Child Life Programs
Although child life services are integrated into almost every aspect of care at CHOC Children’s, our child life experts have developed a number of very specialized therapy and education programs created to meet our patients’ diverse needs.
- Cancer is a very grown-up diagnosis but at the Hyundai Cancer Institute, patients can participate in a wide variety of very specialized child life services and activities whether they are receiving inpatient treatment or outpatient infusions.
- Emergency visits to the hospital can be stressful and scary for the entire family. At the Julia and George Argyros Emergency Department, child life specialists are available to help patients feel more at ease with the hospital environment and can provide fun distractions during treatment and procedures.
- Child life specialists provide patients with heart-related conditions and their families with special support that makes preparing for and undergoing surgical procedures and cardiac catheterization less stressful. Child life specialists are also available to patients staying in the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU).
- It is important for children to feel comfortable and safe when undergoing a CT scan, MRI, X-ray, ultrasound or fluoroscopy procedure. CHOC is proud to be one of only a small number of medical centers in the country with child life specialists working in a dedicated pediatric radiology and imaging department.
Child life services are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 9 p.m., and Saturdays and Sundays from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Child life services are available in the Emergency Department seven days a week from 3:30 p.m. until midnight.