CHOC’s volunteer team provides crucial assistance in our mission to nurture, advance, and protect the health and well-being of children. In order to fully immerse our volunteers into teams that care for our patients and support the hospital’s work, we ask all volunteers meet our standards. We greatly appreciate your desire to help us support a safe and healthy environment for all of CHOC’s families, patients, associates and volunteers.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old at the time of signing up for an Information Session. No exceptions.
- Volunteers must be able to commit to a regularly scheduled shift once a week. Most shifts run 2.5 – 4 hours.
- Volunteers must dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of service. Out of the 100 hours of service, 10 hours must be committed to clerical or special event support.
- Volunteers must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations, and hospital policies. The safety and protection of our customers are our number one priority.
- Volunteers must adhere to our dress code policy – full length tan/khaki pants, CHOC uniform top (will be provided at no cost), closed toe shoes and no artificial nails (no gel, powder dipped or acrylic nails) in roles with patient contact.
- Volunteers must have access to or possess a computer and email address. The Volunteer Services department utilizes email to communicate vital information.
If accepted as a volunteer, you will be asked to:
- Adhere to CHOC’s incoming volunteer medical and background pre-screening requirements:
- Documentation of proof of immunizations to: Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis)
- Proof of two negative TB skin tests in a 12-month period or a Quantiferon-TB Gold Test in a 60 day period. If you have tested positive in the past, a proof of chest x-ray within a 12-month period
- Complete a urine drug screen test
- Background Check (volunteers over 18 years) and a reference form
- Complete online training modules and attend a new volunteer orientation
Detailed information about volunteer requirements is provided at our information sessions.