Access to Mental Health Services
Topic Age Range: School District Wide (Pre-K – 12th Grade)
This presentation will focus on common mental health concerns and how to navigate the mental health system. As part of this presentation, a CHOC Pediatric Psychologist and Resource Specialist will discuss symptoms that may indicate further therapy support could be helpful, how to connect your child to mental health services, and strategies that parents and caregivers can use to navigate the mental health system.
Date Aired: Monday, September 19, 2022 | 5:00 – 5:45 PM
- Maritza Estrada-Alas, BS, Resource Specialist, CHOC Integrated Primary Care
- Sarah Ruiz, PhD, Licensed Psychologist, CHOC Integrated Primary Care
- Maritza Estrada-Alas is a resource specialist in our Integrated Primary Care at CHOC Hospital. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in human services at California State University Fullerton. Her focus is on mental health resources for children and adolescents.
- Dr. Sarah Ruiz is a pediatric psychologist in Integrated Primary Care at CHOC Hospital. She received her doctoral degree in Child Clinical Psychology at the University of Minnesota Institute for Child Development. She specializes in treating children and adolescents with anxiety, depression and trauma.
- Learn about common mental health symptoms to look out for in children
- Learn when and how to make a mental health appointment
- Learn how to navigate the mental health system and troubleshoot challenges that may occur