Dr. Amit Soni, Pediatric Hematology
With special interest in bleeding disorders, Dr. Amit Soni is dedicated to finding innovative ways to connect with teen patients with hemophilia. To this end, Dr. Soni has worked with a grant and special strategic communications training from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to create interactive media aimed at connecting with teens with hemophilia. The goal is to provide the teens with content and information about their disorder so that they may take control of their health and be armed with the knowledge they need as they transition into adulthood.
Dr. Soni is Board Certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Hematology-Oncology. Prior to joining CHOC, Dr. Soni attended medical school in the West Indies at St. George’s University in Grenada. He performed his pediatric residency training at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and completed his fellowship training in pediatric hematology-oncology at CHOC. Dr. Soni worked as a hemostasis/thrombosis clinical research fellow at CHOC and earned additional certification in a UCI graduate program in clinical trials and product development. Dr. Soni was awarded the distinguished, international Bayer Hemophilia Clinical Training Award.
Bleeding disorders, teens with hemophilia
1201 W. La Veta Ave. Building: CHOC Clinic
Orange, CA 92868
St Joseph Hospital
1100 W Stewart Dr
Orange, CA 9286
- Medical School
Saint George’s University, Grenada, West Indies
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
CHOC Hospital, Orange, CA
- Pediatrics Residency
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ
- Assistant Clinical Professor
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
- Director, Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology Fellowship Program, CHOC
- Hematology, CHOC Specialists
- Journal of Haemostasis and Thrombosis
Honors and Awards
- Physician of Excellence
Orange County Medical Association
- American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology
- Hemophilia and Thrombosis Research Society
- National Hemophilia Foundation
Chira P, Nugent L, Miller K, Park T, Donahue S, Soni A, Nugent D, Sandborg C. Living Profiles: Design of a health media platform for teens with special healthcare needs. Journal of Biomedical Informatics 2010; 43: S9-S12.
Presentations and Abstracts
Huszti H, Soni A, Korb J, Barnes M. Interdisciplinary Approach to Teaching Residents to Deliver Bad News. Society of Pediatric Psychology Annual Conference. 2014; Abstract Poster
Buranahirum C et al. Relative Health Status of Young Adults in the Hemophilia Utilization Groups Studies (HUGS). National Hemophilia Foundation Annual Conference. 2015; Abstract Poster.
Chen C, Koknle B, Hord J, Ullman M, Soni A, et al. Associations Between Annual Bleeding Episodes and Financial Burden of Illness Among Persons with Hemophilia A and B in the United States. National Hemophilia Foundation Annual Conference. 2015; Abstract Poster.
Chen C et al. Burden of Illness among Persons with Hemophilia B: Direct and Indirect Costs. ISTH Congress. 2015; Abstract Poster.
Lou M et al. Baseline Characteristics in Hemophilia Utilization Group Studies Part VI (HUGS VI): An Adherence Study Among Participants With Hemophilia. WFH 2016 World Congress. 2016; Abstract Poster.
Lou M et al. Comparison of Clinical Characteristics and Health Care Utilization Among Individuals With Hemophilia A and B in the Hemophilia Utilization Group Studies (HUGS) Cohorts. WFH 2016 World Congress. 2016; Abstract Poster.
As part of his interests in bleeding disorders, Dr. Soni is dedicated to finding innovative ways to connect with teen patients with hemophilia. To this end, Dr. Soni has worked with a grant and special strategic communications training from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to create interactive media aimed at connecting with teens with hemophilia. The goal is to provide the teens with content and information about their disorder so that they may take control of their health and be armed with the knowledge they need as they transition into adulthood.
Our hematologists commonly treat:
- Anemia, including sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, iron deficiency and lead toxicity
- White cell and immune deficiency disorders
- Aplastic anemia
- Bone marrow failure syndromes
- Vascular malformation/hemangiomas
- Platelet disorders
- Coagulation abnormalities, hemophilia, Von Willebrand’s disease, rare bleeding disorders such as Factor 13 deficiency
- Excessive clotting disorders, thrombophilia, deep venous clots, pulmonary embolus or stroke
- Acquired bleeding and clotting disorders
- Prevention of bleeding and clotting problems, with particular experience for patients on cardiopulmonary bypass
- Office: 714-509-8459
- Specialty: Hematology
- Board Certified: Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Additional Languages: Hindi
- On Staff at: CHOC Hospital in Orange