Dr. Adam J. Schwarz, Pediatric Critical Care
With a passion for research in pediatric critical care medicine, Dr. Schwarz supervises the clinical research program within the division of pediatric critical care, overseeing many different national multi-center clinical research studies in pediatric critical care, including studies of therapeutic hypothermia after pediatric cardiac arrest (THAPCA), implementation of a sedation protocol for children with respiratory failure on mechanical ventilator support (RESTORE), inflammatory and genetic biomarkers of septic shock, biomarkers of acute lung injury (BALI), pharmacokinetics of sedation medications (PISA), neuro-developmental consequences of critical pertussis, inflammatory responses to critical influenza infection (PICFlu), and a CDC sponsored study investigating the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine on preventing critical illness in pediatrics. Many of these studies are coordinated in association with a national organization of large academic PICUs across the U.S. and Canada called the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI).
A renowned expert in the field of pediatric critical care, Dr. Schwarz has written a book on pediatric intensive care, “Blueprints Pediatric ICU,” as well as several national journal articles on pediatric critical care topics including pediatric septic shock and severe acute asthma.
Dr. Schwarz is board certified in pediatrics and pediatric critical care. Prior to joining CHOC Children’s, Dr. Schwarz attended medical school at Stanford University School of Medicine in California. He completed his pediatric internship and residency training at Stanford University Hospital and performed his pediatric critical care fellowship at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, CHOC Children’s and King Drew Medical Center.
Dr. Schwarz is fluent in Spanish, French and Malay/Indonesian.
Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
CHOC Children’s Specialists
1201 W La Veta
Orange, CA 92868
phone: (714) 509-8620
fax: (714) 509-4072
CHOC Children’s at Mission Hospital
27700 Medical Center Rd
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Hoag Memorial Presbyterian Hospital
1 Hoag Dr
Newport Beach, CA 92663
- Critical Care, CHOC Children’s Specialists
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Pediatrics
UC Irvine School of Medicine
- Medical School
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford University Hospital
Combined Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship at Harbor-UCLA, CHOC Children’s Hospital and King Drew Medical Center
American Board of Pediatrics
- Emergency Medicine
American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Schwarz AJ, Lieh-Lai MW. Status Asthmaticus. eMedicine (serial online). 2011. Available at: http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2150.htm
- Schwarz AJ. Pediatric Shock. eMedicine [serial online]. 2011. Available at: http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2990.htm
- Schwarz A, et al. Therapeutic Hypothermia after Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children. N Engl J Med. 2015; 372:1898-1908.
Lectures and Presentations
- “Therapeutic Hypothermia in Children”
- “Influenza and Severe ARDS”
- Office: 714-509-8620
- Specialty: Critical Care
- Board Certified: Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine
- Additional Languages: Spanish, French, Malay/Indonesian
- On Staff at: CHOC Children's Hospital and CHOC Children's at Mission Hospital