Physical Therapy for Neurological Conditions

The Rehabilitation Services Department at CHOC provides physical therapy for children of all ages, from birth through age 21. Our skilled physical therapists focus on providing patient- and family-centered therapy.

Therapists work with the children in our state-of-the-art facility to help them meet their functional potential, decrease their sensitivity to things in their environment and improve their ability to function at home and at school. Each patient’s caregivers learn how to properly position the child, transfer the child to and from different settings and positions, and how to carry or move the child in ways that are safe and comfortable for both the child and caregiver.

Physical therapists also help families with the ordering and sizing of assistive devices.

We treat:

  • Stroke.
  • Traumatic brain injury.
  • Cerebral palsy.
  • Spina bifida.
  • Spinal cord injury.

Want to know more about physical therapy for neurological conditions?

Frequently Asked Questions about Physical Therapy and Neurological Conditions

The therapists at the Rehabilitation Services Department at CHOC work with patients of all ages with a variety of diagnoses. The questions below are some of the most frequently asked questions about physical therapy and neurological conditions and should not replace the specific information provided by the patient’s therapists or doctor.

Will my child walk?

A child’s future ability to walk or perform specific tasks depends on the child’s diagnosis and medical history. This question is best discussed with the child’s neurologist.

How long will my child be in therapy?

The amount of therapy each child needs depends upon his or her specific diagnosis and the level of neurologic involvement. Each child is different and progresses at different rates; some children only need therapy for a few weeks while others may require more intensive therapy for a much longer period of time. Some children may even need to return to therapy after they are “discharged” (therapy has ended) because they are not reaching a new developmental milestone.

How can I find community activities for my child?

There are a variety of activities for children to participate in throughout the community. Caregivers can contact Help Me Grow Orange County for information on community resources, as well as the local parks and recreation programs. Before enrolling in an activity, it is important to observe a session or have the child take part in a session at a discounted rate in order to decide whether the activity is a good fit for the child. It is also helpful to talk to the teacher and see if they are able to make adaptations for your child. Please speak with the child’s therapists or physician about any of your specific questions.