Integrative health treatments are used to help any symptom that causes discomfort in our patients and their families.
Integrative health can be used to help treat a number of health conditions, as well as common symptoms like pain, insomnia, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, headaches, stress, anxiety and more. Patients who stay with us at both CHOC Hospital in Orange and CHOC at Mission Hospital may be seen by our practitioners under their physician’s supervision. Our practitioners are members of a patient’s care team and communicate with other specialists and staff on the team. Treatments are individually tailored to the specific needs of your child, and are updated to best respond to changes in a patient’s condition. Ask your doctor if it would be appropriate for integrative health treatments to be added to your child’s care.
Our integrative health treatments include:
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture involves the gentle insertion and stimulation of sterile, single-use disposable needles which are thinner than any used in Western medicine. They are routinely referred to as “cat whiskers” and are well tolerated by children of all ages. These are painlessly inserted at strategic points on the body to relieve pain, stress and anxiety. Learn more about acupuncture.
- Aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is a treatment which uses specific natural essential oils, purified from plants. These are carefully diffused into the room as an aerosol. They are not applied to skin or clothing. These scents send messages to the brain that can lower stress and alleviate physical symptoms. Learn more about aromatherapy.
- Biofeedback. This technique uses sensors to measure different body functions such as heart rate and respiration. This information is used to help a child concentrate on changing how their body acts and feels. Learn more about biofeedback therapy.
- Guided imagery. Guided imagery uses breathing, visual imagery and meditation to help a child find a positive focus and minimize negative thoughts and feelings. Patients learn to imagine a place they find comfort in, such as a grassy soccer field, their favorite beach or a place uniquely safe and peaceful to them. Learn more about guided imagery.
- Hypnotherapy. Hypnotherapy involves teaching a child how to achieve a state of focused concentration in which they are able to use their mind to bring about comfort and changes in their body. Learn more about hypnotherapy.
- Massage therapy and Reiki therapy. Massage therapy is a technique that involves gentle manipulation of soft-tissues to achieve relaxation and pain management. We also provide Reiki therapy, a gentle, non-invasive energy balancing treatment. Learn more about massage therapy and Reiki therapy.
- Pet therapy. Dozens of dogs visit CHOC regularly to interact with patients and minimize their stress and anxiety, provide warmth and comfort, and provide a distraction from pain and the hospital environment. Learn more about pet therapy.
- Music therapy. Our music therapist uses music to promote better health and encourage a child’s focus on getting better, manage their stress or pain, and provide countless other benefits. Learn more about music therapy.
- Art therapy. Our art therapy program provides patients an opportunity to engage in activities like finger painting, scrapbooking and taking photos to help them express themselves as well as decrease stress and anxiety. Learn more about art therapy.
- Seacrest Studios. Our in-house multimedia broadcast center allows our patients to explore the creative realms of radio, television and new media, which has been proven to minimize pain and promote healing. Learn more about Seacrest Studios.
- Palliative and supportive care. CHOC provides palliative and supportive care to patients and families who are dealing with a serious or life-limiting illness. Learn more about our supportive care services.
Traditional Chinese medicine is a non-denominational practice that dates back 3,000 years and remains the foundation of health care in many societies. While there may be some misconceptions about this type of medicine in Western culture, it is actually a well-defined system of medicine governed by standards set by The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. At CHOC, our physicians and nurses trust in the benefits and safety of integrative medicine and offer it in conjunction with traditional treatment, though never in place of it.