Colorectal-Bowel Management Program
At CHOC, we know how hard it is for parents to see their child live with a complex colorectal condition. We know you want the best possible care for your child. That’s why the Colorectal-Bowel Management Program at CHOC aims to help kids get back to being kids.
Children with colorectal disorders often require the care of several specialists. Our program brings together the expertise of our renowned pediatric gastroenterologists, pediatric surgeons, urologists and skin, wound, ostomy nurses to work together with patients and their families to develop short- and long-term plans, including surgical interventions and follow-up care.
The Only Dedicated Pediatric Colorectal Treatment Program in the Region
The CHOC Colorectal / Bowel Management Program specializes in providing expert diagnosis and second opinions for colorectal disorders, and developing personalized treatment plans using advanced diagnostics and the latest, research-based treatment options. We also provide specialized, ongoing care to children who are experiencing complications such as constipation and incontinence after having undergone surgeries to correct colorectal disorders. We are the only program in the region to provide the multidisciplinary care of a pediatric gastroenterologist and pediatric surgeon in one convenient appointment.
Colorectal Services at CHOC
We proudly offer:
- Multidisciplinary diagnosis and treatment planning. Upon referral, patients undergo tests to determine the best way to care for their colorectal condition. Families will meet with our expert colorectal surgeons, motility gastroenterologists, urologists, skin and ostomy nurses and a nursing care coordinator during their appointment. Together, the providers will develop a comprehensive treatment plan with the child and family.
- Specialized colorectal surgery. Our renowned colorectal surgeons offer surgical treatment for patients with anorectal malformation based on individualized treatment plans and comprehensive team-centered planning. Your child’s gastroenterologist and urologist will accompany the surgeon during many procedures, meaning that your child will benefit from the expertise of each physician when they need it most.
- Long-term postoperative colorectal care. Most children require long-term follow-up care after colorectal surgery. This incredible long-term medical management is available not only to patients who have received their surgical treatment at CHOC, but also to those who have not. Some patients may need to be seen in our clinic on a monthly basis (or more as needed) while other patients may need to be seen three to four times each year.
- Gastroenterology Motility Center. We offer extensive gastrointestinal motility testing in our state-of-the-art Motility Procedure Center. Our motility specialists perform anorectal manometery, colonic manometry, anal Botox® injections and biofeedback therapy.
Our Colorectal / Bowel Management Program team is dedicated to the long-term well-being and needs of all our patients—throughout childhood and beyond.
What We Treat
Patients are referred to the Colorectal / Bowel Management Program for advanced testing and treatment of colorectal disorders, including:
- Hirschsprung’s disease
- Imperforate anus
- Spina bifida
- Colonic atresia
- Cloacal anomalies
- Intestinal pseudo-obstruction
- Difficult-to-treat or chronic constipation
- Fecal incontinence.
Care and Compassion Now and in the Future
CHOC’s pediatric gastroenterologists and surgeons believe that testing and treatment should be individualized for your child’s medical and emotional needs, while always being mindful of your family’s values. We work with you to make sure all of your concerns regarding your child’s medical issues are addressed, and that you understand the testing strategies and treatment options available for your child’s condition.
Advanced Diagnostics and Individualized Treatment
Colorectal disorders are complex. Our multidisciplinary team works together using advanced diagnostics to create treatment plans that are mindful of your child’s medical, physical and emotional needs both now and in the future.
Meet Our Team
Dr. Chogle is a board certified pediatric gastroenterologist who treats the full spectrum of gastroenterology disorders of children in Orange County.
Dr Maryam Gholizadeh is a board-certified pediatric surgeon who performs general and thoracic surgeries on infants, kids and teens at CHOC.
Dr. Shaheen Idries is a board certified physician who treats children and teens with gastrointestinal disorders at CHOC.
Dr. Shaul is board certified in pediatric surgery and specializes in colorectal conditions in infants, children and teenagers.
Dr. Elias Wehbi is a urologist who treats infants, kids and teens with urology disorders at CHOC in Orange.
Dr. Gregory Wong is a board certified specialist in pediatric gastroenterology who treats children and teens at CHOC.