What to Expect: Preparing for Your StayAt CHOC, our board-certified pediatricians and psychiatrists understand the specialized expertise and multidisciplinary approach needed to care for eating disorders. Depending on your child’s condition, your appointment may include CHOC experts from our many specialties, such as adolescent medicine, psychology, psychiatry and nutrition. Treating eating disorders in adolescents and young adults can be complex and often requires a team of caregivers. We work with patients who have serious medical complications and/or are severely underweight and require medical and nutrition intervention and monitoring under expert care. The average length of stay in our program is 2-3 weeks. Every day, our care team will:
- Prescribe and monitor the appropriate activity level to support your child. All patients are initially on bed rest.
- Closely monitor vital signs and weight as well as nutritional intake.
- Our dietitians will partner closely with you to provide your child the food they need to recover.
- Therapeutic group meals, music therapy, art therapy and child life activity groups
- Physical therapy, complete physical exam and lab testing