Preventing Sports Injuries and Overuse Syndrome
To prevent a sports injury, follow these tips:
- Have a pre-season physical to identify risks for injury.
- Don’t play one sport year-round.
- Follow an exercise program to strengthen muscles.
- Gradually increase your performance level without overdoing it.
- Wear properly fitted gear such as a helmet, elbow guards, goggles, face mask, mouth guard, pads and appropriate shoes.
- Warm up and cool down before and after a sports activity.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Stay hydrated.
- Take a break if you are injured or tired. Don’t play through pain.