Endocrinology / Diabetes / Obesity Referrals
We’ve developed these referral guidelines to guide you through the process of referring to CHOC Endocrinology. Please follow the instructions provided in the guidelines to ensure qualification and appropriate process in referring your patient.
Our highly experienced, board-certified endocrinologists provide innovative and efficient care to improve the quality of life for children and their families.
We commonly treat:
- Diabetes mellitus, diabetes secondary
- Growth disorders
- Thyroid disorders
- Pituitary hormone disorders
- Adrenal disorders
- Puberty disorders
- Adrenal disorders
- Special hormone disorders: Noonan, Prader-Willi, Turner and Klinefelter syndromes, long term cancer survivor, disorders of sex development, transgender
Services offered include:
- Inpatient and outpatient comprehensive diabetes treatment and education program ages newborn to 21 years old
- Complete treatment and educational program in both English and Spanish – classes and individual/family education
- Inpatient and outpatient diabetes education program for new-onset and new to CHOC children/adolescents with diabetes
- Comprehensive outpatient follow up program structured to meet ADA guidelines
- Insulin pump program
- 24-hour continuous glucose monitoring
Prevention of Obesity and Diabetes through Education and Resources (PODER)
The program consists of 6 interactive sessions taught in Spanish/English. All members of the families, ages 8-75, are encouraged to attend. Younger children can see the classes from the babysitting area and can participate in the family games. A pre-test is given to assess knowledge of the causes of obesity and Type 2 diabetes. A pre-survey is done to assess obesity related behaviors. Height and weight are measured at the first, fifth and sixth class. Participants may weight themselves each week if they choose. BMI’s are calculated. The topics of the first 5 weekly classes are:
- Sugar beverages
- Physical activity
- Portions, balanced meals, label reading
- “Street” food and fat
- Media Literacy
- Television viewing
- High risk situations and refusal skills
Per your health care provider’s instructions, please fill out the form below and fax to 714-509-8513.
For any questions regarding PODER referrals, please call 714-509-7323 or 714-509-7961.
Specialty Care Physician Concierge Service – 714-509-4013
Our physician concierge service expedites provider-to-provider communication with CHOC specialists.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Also assists with:
- Urgent patient referrals requiring provider-to-provider communication
- Access issues for urgent appointments
- Scheduling concerns or inquiries
- Access to specialists, “doctor of the day” or specialty division staff