Dr. Arash Mahajerin, Pediatric Hematology
- Arash Mahajerin MD
- Office: 714-509-8459
- Specialty: Hematology
- Board Certified: Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology.
Dr. Arash Mahajerin is a dedicated physician-scientist with a focus on coagulation (bleeding and clotting) disorders in children. His main areas of research interest include the prevention of blood clots in children, utilization and cost-effectiveness of thrombophilia testing, coagulopathy of trauma, and health economics of bleeding and clotting disorders. He is a co-founder of the Children’s Hospital-Acquired Thrombosis (CHAT) Registry and is actively involved in many clinical research endeavors locally, nationally, and internationally.
Dr. Mahajerin is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. Prior to joining CHOC, Dr. Mahajerin attended medical school at Michigan State University/College of Human Medicine. He performed his pediatric residency and conducted his fellowship training in pediatric hematology-oncology at Riley Hospital for Children/University of Indiana.
Arash Mahajerin MD is on staff at CHOC Hospital in Orange .
1201 W. La Veta Ave. Building: CHOC Clinic
Orange, CA 92868
- Medical School
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Pediatrics Residency
Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN
- Hematology, CHOC Specialists
- Nossair F, Mahajerin A, Hoang J, Diaz D, Nugent D. Promising biomarkers for the prediction of catheter-related venous thromboembolism in hospitalized children: An exploratory study. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019 Jun 21;:e27870. doi: 10.1002/pbc.27870. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31222954.
- Mahajerin A, Betensky M, Goldenberg NA. Thrombosis in Children: Approach to Anatomic Risks, Thrombophilia, Prevention, and Treatment. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2019 Jun;33(3):439-453. doi: 10.1016/j.hoc.2019.01.009. Epub 2019 Mar 29. Review. PubMed PMID: 31030812.
- Wang V, Vo KH, Mahajerin A. Qualitative protein C deficiency due to PROC c.577_579delAAG mutation not detected by chromogenic assays: A case of intractable cerebral sinovenous thrombosis. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019 Jan;66(1):e27443. doi: 10.1002/pbc.27443. Epub 2018 Sep 25. PubMed PMID: 30255615.
- Branchford BR, Jaffray J, Mahajerin A. Editorial: Pediatric Venous Thromboembolism. Front Pediatr. 2018;6:269. doi: 10.3389/fped.2018.00269. eCollection 2018. PubMed PMID: 30320050; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6170657.
- Nossair F, Schoettler P, Starr J, Chan AKC, Kirov I, Paes B, Mahajerin A. Pediatric superior vena cava syndrome: An evidence-based systematic review of the literature. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2018 Sep;65(9):e27225. doi: 10.1002/pbc.27225. Epub 2018 May 21. Review. PubMed PMID: 29781569.
- Jaffray J, Mahajerin A, Young G, Goldenberg N, Ji L, Sposto R, Stillings A, Krava E, Branchford B. A multi-institutional registry of pediatric hospital-acquired thrombosis cases: The Children’s Hospital-Acquired Thrombosis (CHAT) project. Thromb Res. 2018 Jan;161:67-72. doi: 10.1016/j.thromres.2017.11.019. Epub 2017 Dec 1. PubMed PMID: 29207321.
- Branchford BR, Mahajerin A, Raffini L, Chalmers E, van Ommen CH, Chan AKC, Goldenberg NA. Recommendations for standardized risk factor definitions in pediatric hospital-acquired venous thromboembolism to inform future prevention trials: communication from the SSC of the ISTH. J Thromb Haemost. 2017 Nov;15(11):2274-2278. doi: 10.1111/jth.13848. Epub 2017 Oct 13. PubMed PMID: 29027741.
- Foord A, Baca N, Buchbinder D, Mahajerin A. Lupus anticoagulant hypoprothrombinemia syndrome associated with severe thrombocytopenia in a child. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017 Jun;64(6). doi: 10.1002/pbc.26357. Epub 2016 Nov 15. PubMed PMID: 27862892.
- Mahajerin A, Croteau SE. Epidemiology and Risk Assessment of Pediatric Venous Thromboembolism. Front Pediatr. 2017;5:68. doi: 10.3389/fped.2017.00068. eCollection 2017. Review. PubMed PMID: 28443269; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5385336.
- Mahajerin A, Petty JK, Hanson SJ, Thompson AJ, O’Brien SH, Streck CJ, Petrillo TM, Faustino EV. Prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism in pediatric trauma: A practice management guideline from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma and the Pediatric Trauma Society. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017 Mar;82(3):627-636. doi: 10.1097/TA.0000000000001359. PubMed PMID: 28030503.
- Mahajerin A, Zhou ZY, Raimundo K, Patel AM, Han S, Ji Y, Zhong J, Betts K. Model of Short and Long-Term Outcomes of Emicizumab Prophylaxis Treatment for Persons with Hemophilia Α. Abstract presented at American Society of Hematology 60th Annual Meeting; 2018 Dec 1-4; San Diego, CA, USA.
- Raimundo K, Zhou ZY, Patel AM, Han S, Ji Y, Zhong J, Betts K, Mahajerin A. Model of the Short and Long-term Economic Impact of Emicizumab Prophylaxis Treatment for Hemophilia A. Abstract presented at: Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy NEXUS; 2018 Oct 22-25; Orlando, FL, USA.
- Mahajerin A, Formica M, Hay J, Branchford BR, Young G, Krava E, Jaffray J. Cost analyses of pediatric thrombophilia testing: A report from the Children’s Hospital-Acquired Thrombosis Registry. Abstract presented at: Thrombosis and Hemostasis Societies of North America 4th Biennial Summit; 2018 Mar 8-10; San Diego, CA, USA.
- Jaffray J, Mahajerin A, Croteau S, Silvey M, Krava E, Stillings A, Young G, Branchford BR. Central venous catheters, a major culprit for pediatric venous thrombosis: A report from the Children’s Hospital-Acquired Thrombosis (CHAT) Project. Abstract presented at: American Society of Hematology 59th Annual Meeting; 2017 Dec 9-12; Atlanta, GA, USA.
- Silvey M, Branchford BR, Krava E, Jaffray J, Mahajerin A, Carpenter SL. Central Venous Catheter Associated Thrombosis in Congenital Heart Disease Patients: A Preliminary Analysis of the Children’s Hospital Acquired Thrombosis (CHAT) Registry. Abstract presented at: International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 63rd annual Scientific and Standardization Committee (SSC) meeting; 2017 Jul 8-13; Berlin, Germany. Ghanim M, Bergmann S, Mahajerin A. Recurrent stroke in a child with atlantoaxial instability following chiropractic manipulation. Abstract presented at: Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society 2017 Scientific Symposium; 2017 Apr 6-8; Scottsdale, AZ, USA. Nossair F, Mahajerin A, Hoang J, Diaz D, Nugent DJ. Thrombin generation and microparticles as promising biomarkers for venous thromboembolism in children with central venous lines. Abstract presented at: American Society of Hematology 58th Annual Meeting; 2016 Dec 3-6; San Diego, CA, USA.
- Mahajerin A, Ehwerhemuepha L, Hwang NX, Feaster W. Patterns of enoxaparin use for venous thromboembolism prevention in a pediatric center. Abstract presented at: American Society of Hematology 58th Annual Meeting; 2016 Dec 3-6; San Diego, CA, USA.
- Mahajerin A, Jaffray J, Vasquez B, Goldenberg NA, Young G, Branchford BR. Children’s Hospital-Acquired Thrombosis (CHAT) Registry: A Multi-Institutional Registry for Prospective Identification of Independent Risk Factors. Abstract presented at: American Society of Hematology 58th Annual Meeting; 2016 Dec 3-6; San Diego, CA, USA.
- Jaffray J, Branchford B, Vasquez B, Stillings A, Smith N, Young G, Mahajerin A. Central venous catheters and pediatric thromboembolism, a report from the Children’s Hospital-Acquired Thrombosis (CHAT) registry. Abstract presented at: International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis Scientific and Standardization Committee Congress; 2016 May 25-28; Montpellier, France.
- Branchford BR, Jaffray J, Mahajerin A. Children’s Hospital-Acquired Thrombosis database (CHAT): A multi-institutional database for prospective identification of independent pediatric VTE risk factors. Abstract presented at: American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology 29th Annual Meeting; 2016 May 11-14; Minneapolis, MN, USA.
- Mahajerin A, Jaffray J, Vasquez B, Sposto R, Branchford BR. Patterns of thrombophilia testing in pediatric thrombosis patients: A report from the Children’s Hospital-Acquired Thrombosis (CHAT) Database. Abstract presented at: Thrombosis and Hemostasis Societies of North America 3rd Biennial Summit; 2016 Apr 14-16; Chicago, IL, USA.
Lectures and Presentations
- 03/22/2018: Oral Presentation. “Prophylaxis Against Venous Thromboembolism in Pediatric Trauma.” Society of Trauma Nurses TraumaCon 2018. Portland, OR.
- 05/11/2017: Oral Presentation. “Clots in Childhood Cancer: An Ounce of Prevention?” Southern California Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses 31st Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA.
- 09/05/2014: Oral Presentation. “Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis in Critical Care Children.” Pediatric Critical Care Colloquium 21st Annual Meeting. Huntington Beach, CA.
Our hematologists commonly treat:
- Anemia, including sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, iron deficiency and lead toxicity
- White cell and immune deficiency disorders
- Aplastic anemia
- Bone marrow failure syndromes
- Vascular malformation/hemangiomas
- Platelet disorders
- Coagulation abnormalities, hemophilia, Von Willebrand’s disease, rare bleeding disorders such as Factor 13 deficiency
- Excessive clotting disorders, thrombophilia, deep venous clots, pulmonary embolus or stroke
- Acquired bleeding and clotting disorders
- Prevention of bleeding and clotting problems, with particular experience for patients on cardiopulmonary bypass