Follow These Steps
Here’s a step-by-step guide for swaddling your newborn:
1. Spread out the receiving blanket, folding over one corner.
2. Lay your baby face-up on the blanket with his or her head above the folded corner.
3. Wrap the left corner over baby’s body and tuck it beneath the back, going under the right arm.
4. Bring the bottom corner up over your baby’s feet and pull it toward his or her head.
5. Wrap the right corner around your baby, and tuck it under your baby’s back on the left side. Your baby’s head and neck should be left uncovered.
Be sure to leave enough room around the hips so baby’s legs can fall open naturally. And check to make sure the wrap isn’t too tight around your baby’s chest—this can interfere with breathing.
Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or would like a demonstration of this process.