(subject to change)
7:15 – 8:00: Check in, Registration & Breakfast
8:00 – 8:15: Welcome
8:15 – 9:15: Introduction to Pediatric Palliative Care – Dr. Betty Ferrell, RN, PhD, MA, FAAN, FPCN, CHPN
- Review the need to improve care and the role of providers as members of an interdisciplinary team in providing quality care.
9:15 – 10:15: Cultural and Spiritual Considerations – Lesa Delong, RN
- Review the dimensions of culture and how it influences pediatric palliative care. Emphasis is placed on assessing cultural context in communication and providing culturally sensitive care.
10:15 – 10:45: Break
10:45 – 12:00: Pain Management – Brandi O’Brien, MSN, RN-BC, CPNP-AC, CHPN, OCN, PHN
- Review basic principles of pain assessment and management in infants, children, and adolescents with a focus on pain in palliative care.
12:00 – 12:45: Lunch
12:45 – 1:45: Communication – Gay Walker, RN, CHPPN and Meg Goris Mohr FNP-BC, ACHPN
- Develop meaningful communication in pediatric palliative care. The complexities of communicating with children and families at this critical time are described along with suggestions for care.
1:45 – 2:45: General Symptom Management – Brandi O’Brien, MSN, RN-BC, CPNP-AC, CHPN, OCN, PHN and Ruth McCarty, MS. LAC
- Address other symptoms common in children with life-threatening illnesses.
2:45 – 3:00: Break
3:00 – 4:00: Ethical/Legal Considerations
- Discuss some of the key ethical issues and legal concerns in palliative care for children and provide resources to address these in practice.
4:00 – 5:00: Perinatal and Neonatal Palliative Care- Jessica Holtorf, RN
- Consider the unique aspects of perinatal and neonatal palliative care and use suggested strategies for care.
7:15 – 8:00: Check in & Breakfast
8:00 – 8:15: Welcome
8:15 – 9:30: Pain and Symptom Management when Death is Imminent – Dr. Glen Komatsu
9:30 – 10:30: Care at the Time of Death – Gay Walker, RN, CHPPN
- Focus is on care at the actual time of a child’s death, emphasizing the preparation necessary to ensure the best care at this critical event in the trajectory of illness.
10:30 – 11:00: Break
11:00 – 12:00: Loss, Grief, and Bereavement – Gay Walker, RN, CHPPN
- This session covers the challenging aspects of grief, loss, and bereavement of children and families, as well as the loss experiences of healthcare professionals.