December 04, 2006
’Tis the season to be jolly, and the well-being of children tops the Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC) wish list. The holiday season can be a dangerous time for children. Many new hazards are introduced into the home at a time when there's a change in routine and parents are often distracted. However, parents can take simple precautions to avoid injury and ensure a safe holiday season for their children. The following holiday safety tips will help keep the jingle in your holiday season:
Wash hands before, during and after food preparation.
Defrost meats and poultry in the refrigerator or microwave.
Keep common baking ingredients such as vanilla and almond extract out of the reach of children.
Use soap, water and a disposable paper towel to clean surfaces that have touched raw meat, fish or poultry.
LIGHTS AND CANDLES
When decorating trees, use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials. Decorate your tree using only UL (Underwriters’ Lab Inc.) approved lights and cords. Inspect lights for exposed or frayed cords. Never use more than three strings of lights on one extension cord, and never run an electrical cord under a carpet.
Turn off the tree lights before leaving the tree in an unattended room, going to bed or departing from home.
Keep burning candles out of your children’s reach. Keep matches and lighters out of sight and locked away. Do not leave burning candles unattended, and never place them near anything that might easily catch fire. Supervise children around the fireplace.
Purchase a fresh, green tree, and remember to water it daily. Keep the tree away from fireplaces or other heating sources.
Do not use fragile ornaments or those with small, detachable parts or metal hooks on lower branches. Also avoid ornaments that look like food or candy.
HOLIDAY FOODS AND ORNAMENTS
Keep round, hard foods and candies, such as candy cane pieces, mints, nuts and popcorn, out of your children’s reach.
Keep small ornaments, tinsel, small figurines and other decorations out of reach.
Keep alcoholic beverages and containers out of reach.
Keep poisonous plants, including amaryllis, out of reach. Watch for holly and mistletoe berries that may have fallen on the ground and into your child’s path—they are very poisonous. Poinsettias are not poisonous, but may cause skin irritation and gastrointestinal distress.
Post the California Poison Control System number, (800) 876-4766 or (800) 8-POISON, by all telephones. Keep syrup of ipecac in the house, but use it only on the advice of a poison control specialist or a physician.
Select age-appropriate toys. Avoid those with small, removable parts that may pose a choking risk for young children.
Avoid toys with strings, straps, or cords. These may pose a strangulation hazard to small children.
When buying bicycles, tricycles, scooters, skateboards or skates, always include helmets and appropriate protective equipment.
For more information on holiday safety or to speak with a CHOC expert, please contact CHOC Public Relations at 714-532-8680.
Named one of the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News & World Report (2014-2015) and a 2013 Leapfrog Top Hospital for the highest quality of care, Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC Children's) is exclusively committed to the health and well-being of children through clinical expertise, advocacy, outreach, education and research that brings advanced treatment to pediatric patients. Affiliated with the University of California, Irvine, CHOC’s regional health care network includes two state-of-the-art hospitals in Orange and Mission Viejo, many primary and specialty care clinics, a pediatric residency program, and four clinical centers of excellence - the CHOC Children’s Heart, Neuroscience, Orthopaedic and Hyundai Cancer Institutes.. CHOC earned the Gold Level CAPE Award from the California Council of Excellence, the only children’s hospital in California to ever earn this distinction, and was awarded Magnet designation, the highest honor bestowed to hospitals for nursing excellence. Recognized for extraordinary commitment to high-quality critical care standards, CHOC’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is the first in the United States to earn the Beacon Award for Pediatric Critical Care Excellence.
Denise Almazan, Director of Public Relations
phone: (714) 509-8680