CHOC Children's
ALLERGY AND ASTHMA :: Types of Allergens

Insect Stings

Avoiding insect stings may not always be possible. However, knowing how to respond should your child experience an allergic reaction from an insect sting, could provide more peace of mind in the event of an emergency.

Insect stings that most commonly cause allergic reactions:

Insects that are members of the Hymenopteran family most commonly cause allergic reactions. These include the following:

  • bees
  • wasps
  • hornets
  • yellow jackets
  • fire ants

What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to an insect sting?

For most children, when stung by an insect, the reaction is short-lived, with redness and swelling followed by pain and itching. Generally, the reaction lasts only a few hours, although some may last longer. For others, however, allergic reactions to these insect stings can be life threatening. This severe reaction is a medical emergency that can involve organ systems throughout the body. The reaction is called anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and can include severe symptoms such as the following:

  • itching and hives over most of the body
  • swelling of the throat and tongue
  • difficulty in breathing
  • dizziness
  • headache
  • stomach cramps, nausea, or diarrhea
  • rapid drop in blood pressure
  • shock loss of consciousness

Immediate medical attention is required.

Can insect stings be prevented?

Avoidance of insects is the best preventive measure. Suggestions for helping your child avoid insect stings include the following:

  • When outdoors, make sure your child is careful of eating or drinking uncovered foods or beverages, which can attract insects.
  • Keep your child from going barefoot. He/she should wear closed-toe shoes when walking in grassy areas.
  • When playing outdoors, make sure you and your child watch for insect nests in trees, shrubs, and flower beds. Other areas in which to use caution include swimming pools, woodpiles, under eaves of houses, and trash containers.

Treatment for insect stings:

Specific treatment for insect stings will be determined by your child's physician based on the following:

  • your child's age, overall health, and medical history
  • extent of the reaction
  • your child's tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
  • expectations for the course of the reaction
  • your opinion or preference

Suggestions for immediate treatment for highly-allergic children, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, include the following:

  • When possible, immediately remove the stinger, and scrape over the area with a fingernail. However, do not squeeze the area, which may force the venom into the body.
  • An emergency treatment kit should be kept nearby at all times. Consult your child's physician about what it should include.
  • Seek emergency care for your child as soon as possible.

Click here to view the
Online Resources of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology

GR_ATP

It is important to remember the health information found on this website is for reference only not intended to replace the advice and guidance of your healthcare provider. Always seek the advice of your physician with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.

© Children's Hospital of Orange County