Eosinophilic Esophagitis Clinic :: Food Reintroduction Following an Elemental Diet
Once a patient’s eosinophils have cleared, foods are typically reintroduced in stages starting with those least likely to cause EOE. Below is a sample food progression. Foods are reintroduced one at a time starting with stage one and progressing to stage four.
Below is a sample food progression published in Gastroenterology Clinics of North America.
- Non-legume vegetables: carrot, squash, sweet potato, white potato, string bean, broccoli and lettuce
- Non-citrus, non-tropical fruits: apple, pear, peach, plum, and apricot
- Citrus fruits: orange, grapefruit, lemon and lime
- Tropical fruits: banana, kiwi, pineapple, mango, papaya, guava and avocado
- Melons: honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon
- Berries: strawberry, blueberry, raspberry and cherry
- Legumes: lima bean, chickpea and white, black, and red beans
- Grains: rice, oat, barley and rye
- Meat: lamb, chicken, turkey and pork
- Fish and shellfish
- Tree nuts: almond, walnut, hazelnut, brazil nut and pecan
Learn more about: