Thank you for your interest in making a donation to CHOC Children’s at Mission Hospital. Your donation will be used by the Child Life Specialists and other staff members to help encourage and cheer the children who are receiving medical treatment at our hospital.
Due to infection control policies, all items donated must be new, in the original packaging, and must have all safety tags attached. For safety reasons, food and balloons are not allowed under any circumstances.
We really appreciate having gift cards for local stores that will enable us to shop for specific toys or supply needs for our patients throughout the year:
- Toys “R” Us
Our greatest need is for individually packaged small items, small enough for children of any age to hold in their hand. There are many times throughout a child’s hospital visit when small gifts may be needed, such as after a treatment or medical procedure, as a reward for being brave, or simply to have something fun to play with. Items are used in many different departments where children receive treatment, including pediatrics, PICU, the Emergency Department, Pediatric Outpatient Pavilion, pre-hospital testing and imaging services. The following list offers suggestions of items, but please feel free to use your imagination.
*We currently have a significant need for toys for this age group.
(For safety reasons, items must have labels on them indicating that they are approved for children younger than age 3, or for children of all ages.)
- Single-piece toys
- Animal and people figurines (especially Dora, Elmo and Thomas the Tank Engine)
- Rattles, teethers, and hand-held toys
- Board books
- Stuffed animals (with tags for “All Ages”)
- Musical/light-up toys
- Cars and trucks (with tags for “All Ages”)
Ages 3 and older:
- Single piece toys
- Matchbox/Hot Wheel cars
- Decks of cards and Uno cards
- Small Lego sets (especially “Bionicles”)
- Travel size games
- Animal and people figurines
- Crayola Window FX Markers
- Crayons, markers, colored pencils and gel pens
**We always have a significant need for items for this age group
- Higher-level art supplies (sketch books, drawing pencils, paints)
- Teen interest games, books, and activities
- Movie/music store gift cards (any amount)
During the holiday season and the whole year through, we strive to make the hospital environment as close to home as possible. This includes providing both fun and developmentally appropriate toys for our playroom, to be used at the bedside, and for special occasion gifts such as birthdays. Suggestions for such items include:
- Single-piece toys for all age groups
- Crib activity boxes w/music, lights, sounds of the ocean, etc.
- Crib Mobiles (The Sassy “Music In Motion” one preferably—must be ALL plastic)
- New books (including board books and talking/interactive books)
- Video games (PS2 games rated “E” and “Teen”)
- Craft, art and beading kits and supplies
- Music and relaxation/lullaby CDs for infants, school age kids, or teens
- DVDs for all ages, especially Disney and teens (rated G, PG, or PG-13)
- Distraction and relaxation toys such as magic wands, hidden picture books, pinwheels, squishy balls, toys with flashing lights, and anything unusual, fun and interesting to look at!
Just a note: We no longer need VHS tapes, used or new.
We appreciate your interest in giving to our young patients here at CHOC Children’s at Mission Hospital. Your generosity will lift the spirits of a hospitalized child and family, helping them to feel better. If you have any questions or a special idea you would like to tell us about, please do not hesitate to contact us.
CHOC at Mission
Attn. Child Life Department
27700 Medical Center Rd.
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
phone: (949) 347-8400 ext. 4062