Hyundai Cancer Institute :: Financial Consultants
Families of patients being cared for at the Hyundai Cancer Institute at CHOC Children’s have access to hospital-based financial consultants who are experts in obtaining funding for a child hospitalized with cancer. They connect families with Medi-Cal and California Children’s Services (also known as “CCS”) and help families navigate the financial paperwork that accompanies inpatient and outpatient services. Financial consultants also work with the parents to effect prompt payment of their bills, which involves conferences with physician offices, third-party payors and other hospital departments. Financial consultants also do the following:
- Advise, inform and assist the patient’s family before, during and after hospitalization regarding their financial obligation to the hospital.
- Evaluate prepayment and deposit requirements.
- Request and collect prepayments and deposits.
- Make arrangements for payment of bills and follow-up on collections.
- Evaluate financial status of accounts.
- Receive and follow-up on Medi-Cal assistance applications and California Children’s Services, and refer likely Medi-Cal applications to an on-site eligibility worker.
- Make arrangements for payment of self-pay portions of bills and deposits, and arrange promissory notes upon patient discharge.
Patients and their families can speak with their case coordinator for more information on working with the hospital’s financial consultants.